Skip to main content

Book Review: Khel-The Writings

Khel-The Writings is a genre offering by Mr. Vishal Goswami. It belongs to Horror genre and comes across as a very thoughtful and well-written novel. I must say it kept me in check all the time and didn't particularly disappoint me except for it's all too familiar plot. I wouldn't blame it on Vishal though for genre offerings always fight for cognizance in recognizable territory yet whatever is up there for readers in Khel's pages is still pure delight. The story revolves around an 'abandoned' haveli that used to belong to a Nawab Saheb and was left in its present status due to some terrible incidents having taken place there. A group of five adventure-seekers and wannabe documentary makers (of the type of 'Paranormal Activity') go to the Haveli and fall victim to the apparent chief patron of Haveli, Ms. Gomes (call her ghost). Police investigates the case and we all slowly get to know that Haveli is haunted and not to be referred to in any case, let alone investigate and yet, an investigative journo, Sanya Sharma takes it upon herself to go to the root-cause of all this hoopla. She goes to the Haveli and finds herself entangled in all the supernatural guise of Ms. Gomes and how does she manage to unravel all the mysteries of Haveli and lead the coup against Ms. Gomes forms the central idea of 'Khel-The Writings'.

One would say after reading this synopsis that it's all too predictable but again I'd say that how all the characters and things have been into perspective by Vishal here is the real strength of this book. The writing is top-class and I must say that this is the most grammatically refined book of all the ones by Indian writers that I have managed to go through so far. Book is a technical triumph too with its eye-catching cover page, again keeping true to its genre and superior print quality. I really enjoyed the book and thus would recommend it to all my readers and particulary to horror-genre fans who crave all the time for a suitable offering.

Rating: 3.5/5

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leftovers: A Very 'Special' HBO Production

Three things that have occupied my mind for last three days in descending order of importance are: Justin Trudeau, Heinrich Klassen and The Leftovers. I am going to write here about the least important entity for I am likely to forget about it most urgently. The Leftovers is an HBO production and like the most HBO productions, it makes for a great television experience. I chose to watch it for two reasons: First, it was only three season long with 28 episodes in total and secondly, for two years running, it was the best TV show in American Landscape. There was a third reason as well and it was in the name of its creator's promise. Damon Lindelof is one of the brightest American minds and he gave us 'Lost' all those years back. I have been a huge fan of 'Lost' and till this time, gush about its fantastical and mythical elements. People still find it very hard to crack the mysteries of Lost and when a show leaves you with more questions than the answers after its 8

Book Review: Unanswered

'Unanswered' is a book penned by Mr. Kunal Uniyal and it's his third book. I am calling it a book, using a common noun to describe it and I have a good enough reason for doing so. It's a book that consists off both poems and prose and I was in real dilemma picturing its prognosis in my mind. It started with a poem named 'You and I' and beautiful it was, all poised and lyrical. And then came a snippet of a prose by the name 'Life of a Yogi'. They were really not connected and I was perplexed. Then I allowed myself some comfort and decided to dig up some more. Some more beautiful poems and accompanying yet again not quite related passages of prose followed but now they looked more in shape and very much in order. Now I was beginning to realize that there was more to this book than met my eyes earlier and it's scope is much wider that what I originally thought. You are required to engage yourself with this book and once you do that, you will know you ar

The Great Budapest Hotel: Wes Anderson and Ralph Fienns' Finest Effort

This is going to be a very long piece and I shall definitely be re-posting it. I am also deviating from my original list of 13 topics but this piece shall be worth it. It's not going to be a 'corollary' by any means, It shall stand on its own legs. I watched a Wes Anderson film yesterday. The Great Budapest Hotel. I was planning to watch it for over 15 months and I finally managed to yesterday. So what's special with a Wes Anderson movie? Wes directed 'Rushmore' in '97 casting Bill Murray and Jason Shwartzman in lead. It became a modern classic comic film and beloved of all of America. Repeatative yet magnificent casting became a staple of Wes' movie and Bill Murray, his go-to lead. I must tell you that Hollywood is richer with Bill's presence for you shall never find such an iconoclast, drab and droll with fabulous sense of humor and dry wit in all of America. But in this latest of his offerings, Wes managed to find exactly one like Bill Murray. B