Skip to main content

Hunterrrrrr - Gulshan Devaiah Will Definitely Hunt You Down with His Scintillating and Titillating Performance!!!!!

I bet not many of you could claim to watch Gulshan Devaiah's Hunterrr starring also the ever-so-magnificent Radhika Apte. Like many of those great, misleading movies, it also gets categorized wrongly, an adult comedy (Thank your Gods and Indian Censor Board for at least calling it THAT) precisely whereas if you would ask me, I shall simply like to call it an 'adult drama'. It's undoubtedly hilarious in many parts but if a comedy makes you cringe in your guts, what would you call it? It also made me sad at various moments and then let me empathize with its lead characters in Radhika Apte, Gulshan and his friend Kshitij. Let me go one better: It's a very serious film that discusses the concept of perverseness and sexual mischievousness explicitly through its protagonist, Mandhar. Mandhar is a VASU, apparently a some type of sect that tries to hit on girls and women repeatedly without really committing to a long term relationship or letting itself fall in LOVE. Success ratio of VASU sect is outstanding considering what its representatives really do and our Mandhar is its undisputed champion for he is doing Vasugiri for last 15 years. The film depicts his life journey with utter convince and if I remove first 40 minutes of it, I found it extremely believable and engaging. Gulshan Devaiah, someone must do a story on this enormously talented actor. He literally sent a shiver to our spines with his first starring role in Anurag Kashyap's 'Shaitan' and here he is trying to break a glass ceiling that has confined him to being an art-house product and a serious actor. He is not portraying the life of a sex addict here. If you get slightest of this idea by watching Hunterr's trailer, you would be sadly mistaken. He goes on his sexual adventures alright or misadventures I would rather say but he never once shows a sign of mental digression. If you really want to witness the live of a sex addict, watch Steve McQueen's 'Shame' instead starring Michael Fassbender and Carey Mulligan. Our Mandhar finds love too in Radhika Apte and she has got a history of her own of many casual affairs but she has concealed one very deep scar too which I could not afford to reveal here. Ending of Hunterr is one of the most gladdening aspect of it for many Indian dramas start off brilliantly to only lose all their charms and steam later. Hunterr is one true omission of that increasingly frustrating and disappointing list. It's also one of the bravest films that one average Indian viewer could have his hand on for our much-maligned censor board blocks everything off and for that deviant behavior that lets Hunterr off its hook, Censor Board of India must be congratulated as well. What's more, Hunterr made money too on box office with its lowly budget of 6 crores. Better still, its director is coming up with a sequel titled 'Hunterr 2' with Gulshan and Radhika again headlining it. I must say I am one happy viewer after watching this most challenging of Indian Movies of year 2015. I am happier for I followed my instincts that started kicking me inside when I fell for its trailer and song: 'Chori-Chori, Teri Meri; Love Story, Chalne De' for the first time. Arijit Singh and Sona Mohapatra, how could I really thank you enough Guys?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leftovers: A Very 'Special' HBO Production

Three things that have occupied my mind for last three days in descending order of importance are: Justin Trudeau, Heinrich Klassen and The Leftovers. I am going to write here about the least important entity for I am likely to forget about it most urgently. The Leftovers is an HBO production and like the most HBO productions, it makes for a great television experience. I chose to watch it for two reasons: First, it was only three season long with 28 episodes in total and secondly, for two years running, it was the best TV show in American Landscape. There was a third reason as well and it was in the name of its creator's promise. Damon Lindelof is one of the brightest American minds and he gave us 'Lost' all those years back. I have been a huge fan of 'Lost' and till this time, gush about its fantastical and mythical elements. People still find it very hard to crack the mysteries of Lost and when a show leaves you with more questions than the answers after its 8

Book Review: Unanswered

'Unanswered' is a book penned by Mr. Kunal Uniyal and it's his third book. I am calling it a book, using a common noun to describe it and I have a good enough reason for doing so. It's a book that consists off both poems and prose and I was in real dilemma picturing its prognosis in my mind. It started with a poem named 'You and I' and beautiful it was, all poised and lyrical. And then came a snippet of a prose by the name 'Life of a Yogi'. They were really not connected and I was perplexed. Then I allowed myself some comfort and decided to dig up some more. Some more beautiful poems and accompanying yet again not quite related passages of prose followed but now they looked more in shape and very much in order. Now I was beginning to realize that there was more to this book than met my eyes earlier and it's scope is much wider that what I originally thought. You are required to engage yourself with this book and once you do that, you will know you ar

Phillip Seymour Hoffman : An Obituary

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was one of the modern acting greats. You can always identify and isolate him in an ensemble cast. Give him just two-three lines in a 150-180 minutes long feature film and still he would enthrall the audience with his magic and aura and come out on top. People and critics alike bestowed countless superlatives upon him in a career spanning over more than two decades but whether any one of those adjectives ever managed to justify his cinematic craft, I seriously doubted. He was unprecedented and unsurpassed in the practice of cinematic artistry and thus emerged as America’s greatest character actor ever, period. Paul Giamatti is his worthy successor and hopefully he would calm and soothe our nerves with his finest performances in times to come in Phillip’s absence. Phillip ultimately was a show-stealer, a rabble-rouser, an aloof but a sympathizing marvelous human being who marveled in Hollywood though always residing at its sidelines. I first saw him playing a y