Skip to main content

Film Essay: The Theory of Everything (2015)

I'm a sentimentalist by nature. Keeping that in mind, let's talk about 'The Theory of Everything'. Yes, according to the principles of esteemed theoretical physicist 'Stephen Hawking', there is a single theory that explains the origin of everything, be it universe, black holes, time et al. That seems an absurd notion, especially when the theory is still to be pronounced or 'invented'. But Hawking has, all through his 'deformed' life, kept a confounding research going on that's relentless in its pursuit. There and now we all believe, must be a single theory that explains everything.

My introduction to Stephen Hawking has been a chance one. I never knew that there was a scientist existing completely stuck to his wheel chair, his whole body paralyzed and could speak only with the help of a computerized machine that’s been attached to his wheel chair. But this all had to change came the Pragati Maidan Book Fair of 2014. My Friend, Ashish Chaudhary, bought one of the most celebrated works of Hawking, i.e. ‘The Brief History of Time’ and though I knew there existed a bestseller with such a label, I never really entertained the idea of buying it. I was more interested in buying Maxim Gorky’s ‘Mother’ but somehow, I now knew that Stephen Hawking is the author of that book that Ashish purchased and he is one of the greatest scientists of our time. And then my pursuit began.

Only a month later (at Oscars 2014), I gotta know that Eddie Redmayne starrer ‘The Theory of Everything’ has been nominated for various Oscars that was a biopic on Stephen Hawking based on Hawking’s ex-wife Jane Wilde Hawking biography of Hawking named ‘Travelling to Infinity: My Life with Stephen’. Eddie Redmayne was a complete stranger to me and Felicity Jones who played Hawking wife was too not a very well known name. I had the briefest of ideas that such a movie is in production prior to Oscars 2014 but given to the knowledge of my no-knowledge of these great actors, I paid no heed to its box-office performance or the critical acclaim it went on to garner afterwards. It was a mistake but now after writing this piece, I shall consider amendments to be done.

Eddie Redmayne performance towers in the movie and he rightfully won the Oscars for best Actor for it but this doesn’t really underestimate the performance of Felicity Jones. She looks potent and almighty when she finds out that Hawking has been diagnosed with Motor Neuron disease and takes care of everything, three kids and whatnots. But she also looks fragile and weak when she couldn’t keep up with Hawking deteriorating health and chores and also when Hawking finds a more suitable substitute for her in his therapist. They ultimately part their ways but we don’t see any animosity creeping in between. And when Hawking gets a call from 10, Downing Street (that’s Queen of England Address) for an offer of ‘Knighthood’, he invites Jane to accompany him. He later on discards the ‘Knighthood’ that would have ultimately turned him into a ‘Sir Stephen Hawking’ but consoles Jane in the closing footage, indicating to his three children, that they have been their biggest achievement. The last 90 seconds of movie takes you on a whirlwind tour that recaps the entire movie and leaves you ‘nostalgic’ amidst the soulful background score of Johann Johannsson. By then, you would realize that you have been a spectator of something ‘very special’. Tears will be in your eyes (as they are in mine now) and you shall consider thankful to Gods for making you a witness of ‘Stephen Hawking’ talents and for ‘The Theory of Everything’……yes, there is a ONE………..‪#‎IAmDone‬………‪#‎HumaneAndMarvellous‬…….‪#‎EddieRedmayne‬…….‪#‎FelicityJones‬…….‪#‎TheTheoryOfEverything‬

P.S. Being a Mathematics Honors (and a student of Physics till my second year of Graduation course), the least I could have done with this movie is to give it a place in my very selective movie database and write something about it, so I did exactly that. It is now enjoying an ‘honorable’ company with John Nash’s ‘A Beautiful Mind’.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leftovers: A Very 'Special' HBO Production

Three things that have occupied my mind for last three days in descending order of importance are: Justin Trudeau, Heinrich Klassen and The Leftovers. I am going to write here about the least important entity for I am likely to forget about it most urgently. The Leftovers is an HBO production and like the most HBO productions, it makes for a great television experience. I chose to watch it for two reasons: First, it was only three season long with 28 episodes in total and secondly, for two years running, it was the best TV show in American Landscape. There was a third reason as well and it was in the name of its creator's promise. Damon Lindelof is one of the brightest American minds and he gave us 'Lost' all those years back. I have been a huge fan of 'Lost' and till this time, gush about its fantastical and mythical elements. People still find it very hard to crack the mysteries of Lost and when a show leaves you with more questions than the answers after its 8

Phillip Seymour Hoffman : An Obituary

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was one of the modern acting greats. You can always identify and isolate him in an ensemble cast. Give him just two-three lines in a 150-180 minutes long feature film and still he would enthrall the audience with his magic and aura and come out on top. People and critics alike bestowed countless superlatives upon him in a career spanning over more than two decades but whether any one of those adjectives ever managed to justify his cinematic craft, I seriously doubted. He was unprecedented and unsurpassed in the practice of cinematic artistry and thus emerged as America’s greatest character actor ever, period. Paul Giamatti is his worthy successor and hopefully he would calm and soothe our nerves with his finest performances in times to come in Phillip’s absence. Phillip ultimately was a show-stealer, a rabble-rouser, an aloof but a sympathizing marvelous human being who marveled in Hollywood though always residing at its sidelines. I first saw him playing a y

Book Review: Unanswered

'Unanswered' is a book penned by Mr. Kunal Uniyal and it's his third book. I am calling it a book, using a common noun to describe it and I have a good enough reason for doing so. It's a book that consists off both poems and prose and I was in real dilemma picturing its prognosis in my mind. It started with a poem named 'You and I' and beautiful it was, all poised and lyrical. And then came a snippet of a prose by the name 'Life of a Yogi'. They were really not connected and I was perplexed. Then I allowed myself some comfort and decided to dig up some more. Some more beautiful poems and accompanying yet again not quite related passages of prose followed but now they looked more in shape and very much in order. Now I was beginning to realize that there was more to this book than met my eyes earlier and it's scope is much wider that what I originally thought. You are required to engage yourself with this book and once you do that, you will know you ar