Skip to main content

A Tale of Two European Productions: A Bigger Splash and Rust and Bone

European feature films are quite different in nature when compared to Asian and American productions. They usually represent simple tales of emotions or human beings and seldom dwell in their complexities. They are slicker in nature and unilateral in their pacing. They don't force the viewers to make too many conclusions, instead they make them soak all that happened on screen. I came across these realizations while watching two of their examples and I must say I didn't like them too much although I picked them for the same elements that I generally like to see in Asian and Hollywood productions: Stellar Starcast, Intriguing Plot and their Critical Acclaim. Both these films: A Bigger Splash and Rust and Bone had all these elements aplenty and despite the fact I didn't like them still, they have remained 'etched' in my memory ever since I watched them.....it's more than 10 days now!!!


'A Bigger Splash' stars Ralph Fienns, Tilda Swinton, Dakota Johnson and Matthias Shoenaerts in key roles. I picked it primarily for Ralph and it's critical value. However, it was it's disturbing plot that completely swept me off my feet. From the outset, it really looks a very simple film but consequences depicted in it tell a different story altogether. Ralph Fienns, you recognize him for playing Lord Voldemort in Harry Potter Franchise, Tilda Swinton from her 'Chronicles of Narnia' portrayal, Dakota from 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and Matthias Shoenaerts, err? Matthias Shoenaerts (His surname gives me a real pain while typing it) has been compared to 'Marlon Brando' (you see) and 'Tom Hardy' in European Circuits for his heart-on-his-sleeves roles that drip full-blown intensity and seriousness at every point and second. He is a Belgian actor of Flemish origin and in 'A Bigger Splash', he once again comes up with a difficult character study. FYI, his debut feature film was awarded an Academy award nomination for the best foreign language film in 1994 and he is definitely a force to reckon with I must say. Then there is Ralph, my primary reason for watching this film....He has been known as a prodigiously gifted, Shakespearean actor of Highest class but he is quite reticent in nature. He is known for his moodswings. But here he sheds all his inhibitions and not only gets naked but also sings and dances in full glory. That was all new for me. Tilda Swinton I know of as a very powerful actress and here she doesn't speak too much for which she is primarily known for. In fact, she rarely speaks at all for she has gotten a neck injury here and thus only acts. She is absolutely fabulous here. I wouldn't give you leads into the plot for this one but you can take my words for it. 'A Bigger Splash' is wonderful!!!!


My search into Matthias led me to 'Rust and Bone'. It stars Marion Cotillard and him. Marion Cotillard as we all know is an European Heavyweight actress from France who has also ventured successfully into Hollywood. This film is really about her. She is a Dolphin trainer in it who likes to party hard in evenings and show her off. She one day accidentally loses her both legs while training the Dolphins in a freak accident. She meets Ali, our Matthias who is a single father and lives with her sister and brother-in-law. He is a semi-professional fighter as well and likes to fight. He is good as well. They become friends when Marion prior to her accident goes to a retro-bar where Ali works as a bouncer. After her accident, she recalls him one day and they come closer in subsequent meetings. Next come spoiler alerts, so I wouldn't go further but both these actors, like Ralph in 'A Bigger Splash' go beyond their boundaries to fulfill their film-characters. It was a difficult film to watch and more indulging than previous entry in this blog but it's also more rewarding.

What I deduced from these two European films that these films do not like to show off. They simply go about their business and enthrall their audiences in albeit, arduous way. La Amour (The Love, in English), an Academy Triumph two years go and another French Production could be cited in the same breath. These are meticulously drafted humane stories who I rarely find in Hollywood despite their big budget and impressive production set-up and quality. As for Asian productions, they still have a long way to go but they definitely like to try!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Leftovers: A Very 'Special' HBO Production

Three things that have occupied my mind for last three days in descending order of importance are: Justin Trudeau, Heinrich Klassen and The Leftovers. I am going to write here about the least important entity for I am likely to forget about it most urgently. The Leftovers is an HBO production and like the most HBO productions, it makes for a great television experience. I chose to watch it for two reasons: First, it was only three season long with 28 episodes in total and secondly, for two years running, it was the best TV show in American Landscape. There was a third reason as well and it was in the name of its creator's promise. Damon Lindelof is one of the brightest American minds and he gave us 'Lost' all those years back. I have been a huge fan of 'Lost' and till this time, gush about its fantastical and mythical elements. People still find it very hard to crack the mysteries of Lost and when a show leaves you with more questions than the answers after its 8

Book Review: Unanswered

'Unanswered' is a book penned by Mr. Kunal Uniyal and it's his third book. I am calling it a book, using a common noun to describe it and I have a good enough reason for doing so. It's a book that consists off both poems and prose and I was in real dilemma picturing its prognosis in my mind. It started with a poem named 'You and I' and beautiful it was, all poised and lyrical. And then came a snippet of a prose by the name 'Life of a Yogi'. They were really not connected and I was perplexed. Then I allowed myself some comfort and decided to dig up some more. Some more beautiful poems and accompanying yet again not quite related passages of prose followed but now they looked more in shape and very much in order. Now I was beginning to realize that there was more to this book than met my eyes earlier and it's scope is much wider that what I originally thought. You are required to engage yourself with this book and once you do that, you will know you ar

Phillip Seymour Hoffman : An Obituary

Phillip Seymour Hoffman was one of the modern acting greats. You can always identify and isolate him in an ensemble cast. Give him just two-three lines in a 150-180 minutes long feature film and still he would enthrall the audience with his magic and aura and come out on top. People and critics alike bestowed countless superlatives upon him in a career spanning over more than two decades but whether any one of those adjectives ever managed to justify his cinematic craft, I seriously doubted. He was unprecedented and unsurpassed in the practice of cinematic artistry and thus emerged as America’s greatest character actor ever, period. Paul Giamatti is his worthy successor and hopefully he would calm and soothe our nerves with his finest performances in times to come in Phillip’s absence. Phillip ultimately was a show-stealer, a rabble-rouser, an aloof but a sympathizing marvelous human being who marveled in Hollywood though always residing at its sidelines. I first saw him playing a y